NBA 2K announced details for the upcoming new season of its MyTeam mode.
What is MyTeam?
The MyTeam mode is a fantasy mode in NBA 2K where players can create lineups and teams of their favorite players from the past and present by earning and purchasing in-game cards.
- The cards are broken down into different tiers — ranging from the lowly bronze to the top level “Invisible” (all 99 stats). Other tiers at this stage of the game include Diamond, Pink Diamond, Galaxy Opal and Dark Matter. Each tier often includes better stats than the tier below it.
- Players can purchase virtual “packs” of cards to get players in the mode, too.
What is MyTeam Season 8 called?
The new season will be called “Trial of Champions” and it will have an NBA playoff theme, as the NBA is in the middle of the real-life NBA playoffs.
- The “Trial of Champions” season will last six weeks.
What does ‘Trial of Champions’ mean?
The “Trial of Champions” is not only the name of the season — it’s a new competition entering the MyTeam mode. Fans will compete in an epic three vs. three competition that will feature six players total. The top-scoring NBA player will give the entire fan base a free new player to use in the game.
Players will begin Season 8 with six unique “Trial of Champions” cards, which include the following players:
- Anthony Davis
- Damian Lillard
- Donovan Mitchell
- Ben Simmons
- Jayson Tatum
- Zion Williamson
Who is the Level 40 reward?
Every season (which lasts between three and six weeks), MyTeam has a feature where you earn points for completing challenges. The top reward for completing those challenges is the “Level 40 reward” because you reach the 40th level of the rewards.
- In the past, rewards have included Steph Curry, Blake Griffin, Dwyane Wade, Kawhi Leonard, David Robinson, JR Smith and Vince Carter.
For this season, the Level 40 reward will be an “Invisible” Luke Doncic. The “Invisible” cards have all 99 stats and represent the best level of players in the game.
What are some other rewards?
Other rewards for the season include some Dark Matter players, including:
- Bob McAdoo
- Robert Parish
- Tom Van Arsdale
- Dick Van Arsdale
- Drazen Petrovic
- Horace Grant
- Willis Reed
- “The Iceman” George Gervin
A new daily log-in reward
Players can earn a free Trae Young player by playing the MyTeam mode every day from June 4 to June 11.
Who is the Limited Reward?
Players can compete in the Limited mode, where you earn virtual rings for winning every week. For this season, those who win six rings in Limited (one for each weekend of the season) will get an Invincible Moses Malone.
More details on the season can be found on NBA 2K’s blog.